avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: MBeanComponentManager ???
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:36:45 GMT
At 10:30 PM 6/13/01 +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
>Conceptually, the MBeanServer is there to expose a management interface
>to humans / console apps / cronjobs / init scripts / whatever. the JMX
>impl(s) are written to support this.

JMX is seen as a hammer by some - and thus everything must be a nail ;) For
instance the jBoss project uses it as a kernel of sorts to load and deploy
their components (ie you load dependency MBean which in turn loads all
other MBeans).

>The ComponentManager needs to be speedy, JMX isn't (doesn't have to be).

It really depends on use case. As the CM is only usually accessed at
startup of component I don't think the speed hit would be that big an
obstacle.

>I think that what should be exposed for management (by phoenix) are
>ServerApplications. Finer graining is inappropriate here. And of course,
>life cycle management for those could be handled with a MBeanServer
>(something we've talked about but have yet to decide on).

For phoenix, it would be insane to use jmx for CM - agreed ;) However if
you were building distributed component based systems - it could be useful.

Cheers,

Pete