avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <paul_hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Shutdown
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2001 21:35:38 GMT
> >Is there a way for a block to shutdown the whole server without invoking
> System.exit() ?
>
> Not at the moment. It did have a while back but I backed out those change
> .... you could go via RMI to get to manager to shut it down. But
> thats is a
> little roundabout away of doing it ;)

it is what I would recommend tho. More natural secure stuff...

I'd prefer a permissions based function :

  org.apache.avalon.system.Shutdown.java

  Shutdown {
    void requestShutdown();
  }

The default scenario for Avalon blocks, is no rights to System.exit() and
org.apache.avalon.system.Shutdown.requestShutdown();  The permissions manifest (why's that
not
XML) states, like for applets, enhanced rights for the SAR/BAR.

Regards,

- PH