avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Mike Hogeboom" <micha...@criticalmass.com>
Subject Newbie question
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 13:38:42 GMT
Hi,

I've been asked by my company to research the possibility of using Avalon.
But I'm confused. Avalon is a server framework but is it a framework to
build a server from the ground up. Or can you place it on top of an existing
web server with a servlet engine. Some information suggests that it loads
the server other suggests its put on top of a server. I know that it's
purpose is to maintian a common framework for server applications using
Java(which is why they asked me to look at it). I've looked at Jesktop and
Cocoon but I'm still not sure.

So is it a framework to build a new server or to put on top of an existing
server?(for example Netscape with JRun3.0). Could someone please set me
straight.

Thanks
Mike