avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Simons" <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject RE: Newbie question
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 19:56:30 GMT
> The Avalon Documentation is under construction, and will clear
> these issues
> up when it is done.  In the mean time, I will tell you what Avalon is.

Part of the problem is that it is quite hard to be concrete about
what Avalon is. While it is used mostly for servers atm, almost all
components are useful for other applications as well.
Jesktop is a fine example. Other plans for applications based on
Avalon include a game server and a sysadmin tool. Any java programmer
who wants to use Component Oriented Programming will find parts of
Avalon useful.

> Our work is cut out for us to rebrand the Avalon name :).

I would like to see everyone refer to Avalon as an
"Application Server Framework" rather than just a "Server Framework".
This is actually a more accurate definition - it is a framework that
serves up applications (be they JAMES, jesktop or the hottest new
PS2 game), instead of only acting as a server in the 'traditional'
meaning of the word (ie handling of client requests).

Finally, I was thinking that "cornerstone.demos" might deserve a
differnet place - we should have a 'breeding place' where new/small/
example avalon-based applications can find a home. It would be nice
if this was Commons but they don't want Avalon stuff.

How about "org.apache.avalon.lackeys"? "lackey" is a term that
somewhat fits the medieval naming scheme, while it is also an
entity that _serves_ others, a nice play on "server".

Well?

regards,

LSD

"lost my sig file in the last windows crash."