avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Benett <char...@benett1.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Questions to clear up official record
Date Fri, 25 May 2001 16:24:27 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Some questions have arrisen from my first draft of the session paper
> that I wrote for ApacheCon.  I sent it to Peter, Leo, Fede, and Giacomo
> (as well as internal developers here at InfoPlanning.com) for comments.
>
> Both Peter and Leo are on the same page with the Re* methods, and since
> I am documenting them, I need to be on the same page as well.
>
> The basic crux is that both Peter and Leo concur that the Re* methods
> should be done between suspend() and resume() methods of Resumable.  My
> question is: What if I implement Reconfigurable but not Resumable?
>
> My train of thought has been that if Resumable is not implemented, it is
> up to the Component to manage concurrency issues (i.e. handling a method
> call while it is re-configuring).  This poses no additional strain on the
> Container.

+1

> Concidering the mindset that Peter and Leo have, it seems that it would
> be an ERROR to not implement Resumable if you are implementing any of the
> Re* interfaces.  Since I have not used these in anything I have written,
> I don't care what the contract is--as long as we are on the same page.
>
> [VOTE]
> Is it an error condition to implement the "Re*" interfaces without
> implementing "Resumable"?

-1
Can't see need to require re* components to be suspendable/resumable
What wa the rationale?

> Should the "Re*" interfaces follow the same order as the normal
> versions (i.e. "Reconfigurable" follows same order as "Configurable")?

+1

> [NOTE]
> If it is NOT an error condition to not include Resumable, what should
> the contract be?

How about:
if component instanceof Suspendable then re* will be called between
suspend() and resume()
Otherwise re* maybe called at anytime.
if more than one re* called, then order will be as for non-re* lifecycle
methods

Charles