avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build status and documentation
Date Mon, 14 May 2001 09:54:49 GMT
At 11:33  14/5/01 +0200, Stephen McConnell wrote:

>Now that the build files are updated (thanks Pete for taking care of
>the updates).  It is now possible to build any Avalon distribution
>from another ant build file using something like the following:
>
>    <ant dir="${avalon.path}" target="dist"/>
>
>or, for phoenix:
>
>    <ant dir="${phoenix.path}" target="dist"/>
>
>etc.
>
>While this is a dramatic improvement over the usual open-source
>build processes - there is still room for improvement with respect
>to the generated documentation.  Under the current build processes
>here are several documentation inconsistencies on the source of
>local versus remote URL - some pages are local while others
>link to http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/...
>
>After looking through the src/xdocs sources, the problem appears to be
>linked to the fact that the docs contain cross package references
>whereas the build process is package independent.  This creates further
>complications when looking at the generated javadoc - for example, the
>javadoc for Phoenix does not integrate references to Avalon.
>
>What I would like to suggest is that we modify the javadoc targets such
>they builds differently depending on the available "dist" packages.
>For example, if an Avalon "dist" is available, the Phoenix javadoc should
>link to a relative local Avalon doc location.
>
>Thoughts ?

+1

A while ago I had this going though I am not sure what happenend to it - I
think it was with the other commits I lost ;( Anyways in build files we
usually have something like

<filter token="AVALON_BASE" value="http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon"/>
<filter token="FRAMEWORK_BASE"
value="http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/framework"/>
<filter token="PHOENIX_BASE"
value="http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/phoenix"/>
<filter token="CORNERSTONE_BASE"
value="http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/cornerstone"/>
<filter token="LOGKIT_BASE" value="http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/logkit"/>
<filter token="TESTLET_BASE"
value="http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/testlet"/>

We could change this to

<property name="avalon.base" value="http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon"/>
<property name="framework.base"
value="http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/framework"/>

<filter token="AVALON_BASE" value="${avalon.base}"/>
<filter token="FRAMEWORK_BASE" value="${framework.base}"/>

Then we could simply change values of properties to make base go from
"http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/framework" to "framework"

Cheers,

Pete