avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <paul_hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Off Topic: FSF makes peace with rest of open source world (not)
Date Wed, 30 May 2001 12:41:32 GMT

It seems that we are no nearer the FSF dropping it's unreasonable objection to GPL intermixing
with other licensed software (including Apache).  This is a real tragedy.

For Jesktop I am using a multitude of licenses.  The interfaces are BSD, the implementation
is
Apache.  Hosted apps can be anything, GPL, Apache, "Free" without license, all because the
BSD
interfaces are compatible with Apache (what OSI approved license isn't) and GPL (bugger all
is).
I was hoping that GPL may become compatible with with Apache license (it was promised for
this
summer), in which case I was going to turn the interfaces into Apache license, making Jesktop
100%
Apache.  Sigh... not to be.

Incidentally, whilst porting apps I have noticed a few GPL infractions.  Jext is one.  It
is GPL,
yet imports Skin Look and Feel (which uses an Apache license clone) == not allowed.  Should
I tell
these guys, or turn a blind eye?

Ho hum.

Regards,