avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <paul_hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject jakarta-avalon-phoenix-bin.jar self-installable
Date Sun, 13 May 2001 17:33:00 GMT
A bit late now for additional functionaility?

If jakarta-avalon-phoenix-bin.jar (which does not yet exist) were executable, it could

1a) extract itself to jakarta-avalon-phoenix-bin (in the current) dir
1b) extract itself to a -d specified parameter
2) if -f (force) were specified, could overwrite the contents of that dir instead of issue
an
error

I know this only saves one use of "jar -xf jakarta-avalon-phoenix-bin.jar" after a mkdir,
but it
would be quite neat.  Especially when re-used by projects that are Avalon dependant, to ship
avalon/phoenix with one or more sar files pre-installed.  Yes, I know the idea is to drop
sars
into the apps dir of a pre-installed Avalon, but until Avalon gets the recognition that say
Ant
and Tomcat have, it's going to be a hard time convincing people that they need to download
two
things to test a fancy product (as well as a convoluted instruction list).

To take it one stage further.. the installer (after installation) could invoke engine.Main
kickoff Avalon-phoenix.  To goal being that the jar would be double click installable/runnable
for
the armchair heros of this world.

Anyway, I have half written it (a clone of Main), but figure it may be unpopular, so am seeking
opinion.

Thoughts?

Regards,

- Paul H