avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Mircea Toma" <mirceat...@home.com>
Subject Re: Serializable Configuration
Date Sun, 27 May 2001 18:18:11 GMT

> > It sounds nice initially but I am a little reluctant
> > to do it at the moment
> > as I don't think we are willing enough atm to
> > guarentee a serialized
> > format.
>
> Question: Would it be reasonable to make that a
> requirement? It would make distributed configuration
> of a group of servers easier.

You bet!

> > Another way of combatting it would be "serializing"
> > it to XML and then
> > using A ConfigurationBuilder on server to rebuild
> > configuration object. Not
> > sure - what do you think ?

It would solve the problem maybe but using XML you have to send XML
fragments that would represent children Configuration-s and parse those XML
fragments..... :( . The nice thing about Configuration is that you can get
really easy children Configuration-s to configure parts/components of your
application using only objects (aka Configuration-s).

> That would be a good alternative.  It is a heavier
> solution, because we would be parsing and reparsing
> an already created object.

There is maybe the alternative of having a ConfigurationCopier class that
would reconstruct a Configuration (a Serializable one) by parsing the source
Configuration (the attributes are all Serializable)!

> My view of a Configuration object at this point is
> that it should be simple to create and simple to use.
> Returning arbitrary objects (which would only make
> Configuration serializable if all the stored objects
> were serializable) should be out of the picture.  The
> more I think about it, the less I like it.
>
> Parameters should be equally simple to use and also
> able to be Serialized.
>
> Thoughts anyone?

I agree! Configuration and Paramaters have as building bricks Serializable
objects anyway (String,Long,Integer .......)!