avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen McConnell" <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject build status and documentation
Date Mon, 14 May 2001 09:33:35 GMT

Now that the build files are updated (thanks Pete for taking care of
the updates).  It is now possible to build any Avalon distribution
from another ant build file using something like the following:

    <ant dir="${avalon.path}" target="dist"/>

or, for phoenix:

    <ant dir="${phoenix.path}" target="dist"/>

etc.

While this is a dramatic improvement over the usual open-source
build processes - there is still room for improvement with respect
to the generated documentation.  Under the current build processes
here are several documentation inconsistencies on the source of
local versus remote URL - some pages are local while others
link to http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/...

After looking through the src/xdocs sources, the problem appears to be
linked to the fact that the docs contain cross package references
whereas the build process is package independent.  This creates further
complications when looking at the generated javadoc - for example, the
javadoc for Phoenix does not integrate references to Avalon.

What I would like to suggest is that we modify the javadoc targets such
they builds differently depending on the available "dist" packages.
For example, if an Avalon "dist" is available, the Phoenix javadoc should
link to a relative local Avalon doc location.

Thoughts ?

Cheers, Steve.