avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Simons" <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject RE: Manual steps in Avalon Framework.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:20:18 GMT
<java:sig>
	About LSD  = new PersonalInfo();
	LSD.name("Leo Simons");
	LSD.email("mail@leosimons.com");
	LSD.URL( [
		http://www.leosimons.com, // personal website
		http://www.atfantasy.com, // fantasy RPG portal
		http://www.the-sign.nl    // web-design company
	] );
	LSD.quote("Buh!");
	email.setSig((String)LSD);
</java:sig> > >I've not been fond of the configuration system ever since I
> >saw it. I would like to have a single config file per .sar,
>
> you mean like we do? (conf/config.xml)

we have two =)

> But remember that it was set up this way for a very specific reason - it
> separates out the roles developer/assembler/deployer/admin. (Thou deployer
> and admin are practically the same in our current model). The benefits of
> this design may not be seen now but in time will become obvious.

I am not quite sure that separation will ever be seen as the files are
all packed into one .jar. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt though.

> >Note: I will probably set up phoenix so you can configure most
> >of it through a conf/phoenix-conf.xml file, if no-one objects.
>
> that was vetoed ages ago but maybe if you put a good case for it ;)
> (especially once we actually have some pluggable facilities).

Looking at my current proposal, there's like 10 fields that need to
be filled in some way. It has already got pluggable logger, deployer,
kernel and manager. Making all the other facilities pluggable isn't
much effort.
Finding an efficient way to handle this plugging is.

> XML will still be required as part of deployment descriptor. Whether it
> stays in that form or goes in via LDAP/XML/JMX/whatever is largely
> irrelevent (I personally want LDAP).

Since LDAP requires more than just java it can only ever be an option
and not a requirment. But yes, it would be useful.

LSD