avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Simons" <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject RE: Thesaurus Lookups for Interruptible and Executable
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:33:06 GMT
> I am presenting this list in hopes to get someone's imagination
> started off.

=)

> Interruptible -> Pausable  (Pause on the tape recorder has the
>                             right connotations)

Sounds about right to me. I am wondering why you choose
"tape recorder" instead of "video", "cd player", "dvd player"
or "mp3 player"...maybe you're a really old fashioned guy
or maybe I'm just irritating :))

> Executable -> Performable  (I can't think of anything better)

Conceptually, what you do with start() and stop() is
run/execute a Component.

I've got a few more here (I looked under "run" :)

proceed
go
process
control
direct
operate

of the suggestions so far, I like "Controllable" best.
If we want to go for a non-*able, Process and Operation
sound nice as well (Processable and Operatable do not, imo)

> Also, I propose that we run a spell check on our interfaces :)

nah - bad spelling is a 'feature' of all programmers <grin>

> Please note that the *able words could not be found (MS Word)

It doesn't know "Runnable" either. Wouldn't worry about it =)

cheers!

LSD