avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Parametizable
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:38:23 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this was KBed last time but ... In the proposal is the interfaces for
>
> interface Parametizabe
> {
>   void parametize( Parameters parameters ) throws ParametersException;
> }
>
> I propose that this be included in CVS for components that Configura* is
> overkill. Specifically I found that this pattern is widely used to launch
> the Runtime/Kernel/Engine/whatever in a number of projects. Tomcat uses
> system properties, Phoenix uses Parameters, OpenEJB uses properties, and a
> few other servers I looked at have a similar arrangement.
>
> I am not proposing that these be part of Blocks lifecycle just that they be
> in CVS so that other components (like Embeddors) can make use of it rather
> than using some custom method. Thoughts/Votes???

The Parameters class, to me, is very much the same as the Java Properties
class.  In fact, the biggest difference is that it can be automatically
created from a Configuration object.  The Parameters class is a carry over
from Cocoon's old framework.

So the question is, should we standardize on Properties and have a custom
object that populates a Properties object from a Configuration file for us?

Or should we keep the Parameters class, and use the Parameterizable interface?

If we do the Parameterizable approach, then the interface is good.
If we do the Properties approach, then we should have an interface like this:

interface Propertizable {
    void propertize( Properties properties );
}