avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Benett <char...@benett1.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Phoenix] Configuration - to template or not ?
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:57:28 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am just about to rework some stuff in Phoenixs core again to make it
> possible to store/retrieve configuration from wherever. A few points points
> must be decided. I had originally planned to separate the config out into
> conf/config.xml. The config would simple be the configuration element from
> the assembly.xml file  in another file under an element name coresponding
> to block name.
>
> Hence foo block which now looks like
>
> <block name="foo" class="com.biz.FooBlock">
>   <provide .. />
>   <provide .. />
>   <configuration>
>     <a>
>       <b>some text</b>
>     </a>
>   </configuration>
> </block>
>
> would now be separated into
>
> assembly.xml:
> <block name="foo" class="com.biz.FooBlock">
>   <provide .. />
>   <provide .. />
> </block>
>
> config.xml:
> <foo>
>   <a>
>     <b>some text</b>
>   </a>
> </foo>

If you mean every block for a sar is mentioned in its assembly.xml and
each block has its own config.xml, that is fine: +1

> Now another point that needs addressing is what we consider config.xml to
> be ..  a template or a fully configured instance. The J2EE jars (ie War et
> al) consider it a fully configured instance. They have tools that take the
> jar and massage it ***before*** deploying. At one stage there was talk of
> having ours as a template which you configure after installing/deploying
> ... thoughts?? Which is better.

I would strongly prefer everything to work out of the box. I think it
makes a big difference to newbies whether to avalon or avalon based
systems like James. So +1 for fully configured instance. (Of course,
people who need to change it could still do that.)

> Another question - if we are storing configuration data in LDAP/DB/whatever
> then do we leave the config.xml on filesystem or delete it. Do we update
> the filesystem/.sar with "real" configuration after each change etc.

How are you going to configure the configuration? Ie will there be a
file that points at an LDAP server/ DB etc?
-1 for updating filesystem sar with real config - it would be confusing
to work out what to change.
If an avalon instance is using LDAP/db whatever, then I suggest copying
the config.xml templates into another directory.

Better yet: have two copies of config.xml One in a conf dir which is
read if configuring from filesystem and deleted if configuring from
elsewhere. The second in another dir - docs? - which is the avalon
provided original. This would be both a template (if someone reverts
from LDAP/db to filesystem) and a backup in case they munge the version
in conf dir.

Charles