avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] lifecycle exceptions
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:23:43 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> proposal:
> For 4.0 of the framework code, CascadingException
> is updated to extend RuntimeException, and new exceptions
> are created for all lifecycle methods except run(), stop()
> and dispose().
>
> So:
> contextualize() throws ContextualizationException
> init() throws InitializationException
> etc.
>
> For:
> - existing code has already proven the exceptions are
>   neccessary. We need to add them.
> - making use of RuntimeException means that existing code
>   will be able to compile and run if the exceptions are
>   not actually thrown.
> - since the lifecycle exceptions are indeed (almost
>   always) runtime exceptions, this setup is also
>   correct.

I vote +1.  It is needed, and most applications with critical
service requirements (Cocoon included) catch all runtime
exceptions before the system shuts itself down.

> Against:
> - a significant body of existing code that uses avalon will
>   have to be updated to work with the new release (OTOH, it
>   will be a lot more work to change this later).

Really, the only time we need to change existing code, is when
we are trying to catch exceptions that would kill running threads.

> - does Cocoon2 have the time to update to this before the
>   beta? (if not, I propose the same change for 4.1)

There isn't alot to update, and Cocoon 2 already handles runtime
exceptions from multiple sources--adding another one won't change
it's operation.

Cocoon 2 is on the same general release schedule as Avalon.
So lets get Avalon stabilized with NEEDED features (which this
qualifies) so Cocoon will follow shortly.