avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon Brand
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 17:28:04 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org] wrote:
> Subject: Framework -> Stable ???
> [snip]
> > Hence I propose that we move the "framework" part of avalon to a stable
> > beta release to match c2s going beta. This means that once we commit to a
> > particular arrangement we will effectively required to support them for a
> > long duration into the future. Given this I think we should do the
> > minimalist thing to the greatest possible degree. If a pattern is not
> > stable and applicable to a sufficiently wide an audience it should not be
> > included in the stable framework.
> [snip]
> > Given this I propose that the following 2 hierarchies
> > * org.apache.framework (stable framework code)
> > * org.apache.avalon (unstable/untested code or components)

[ SNIP ]

> While a strongly support the suggestions to establish a stable (potentially
> reduced/rationalised) code base I strongly urge everyone to consider the
> brand impact that packages play.  Changing the main package to a non-Avalon
> name will immediately reduce the accrued brand value of Avalon, and will put
> in place the framework for progressive degrade of Avalon brand awareness.
>
> Instead on changing packages, I recommend that the package names remains the
> same, but that the non-stable parts be repackaged under Avalon
> sub-packages - AND that appropriate documentation is provided about
> subpackages, purpose, utility, stability, etc.

These are very good arguments, Steve.  I am inclined to align with you on this
one.  To that end, I propose the following heirarchy:

org.apache.avalon (stable subpackages and interfaces, etc.)

org.apache.avalon.untested (packages and classes, etc under development)

the heirarchy of the "untested" package should mirror how they will be merged
into the main package.  There should be a package.html file in the root "untested"
directory that explains that once the utility/component/interface is ready for
prime-time, the package name will change.  There should also be a disclaimer
for that code so that users will know it is a "use at your own risk" type of
thing.

The name "untested" does not imply instability (although that may very well
apply), but merely that we can't guarantee the usability or stability of
API of the code yet.