avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Manual steps in Avalon Framework.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:45:48 GMT
At 12:20  23/4/01 +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
></java:sig> > >I've not been fond of the configuration system ever since I
>> >saw it. I would like to have a single config file per .sar,
>>
>> you mean like we do? (conf/config.xml)
>
>we have two =)

you mean conf/server.xml ... I guess we could merge that with
conf/config.xml ... I am not sure - will look at it again though.

>> But remember that it was set up this way for a very specific reason - it
>> separates out the roles developer/assembler/deployer/admin. (Thou deployer
>> and admin are practically the same in our current model). The benefits of
>> this design may not be seen now but in time will become obvious.
>
>I am not quite sure that separation will ever be seen as the files are
>all packed into one .jar. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt though.

Same as the benefits of servlets/wars. Though typically there is minimal
"assembly" in web apps (unless you use EJBs extensively) it is an okay
example.  Of separation between developer and deployer. (it relies on
servlet engine to do admin side though ;[).

>> >Note: I will probably set up phoenix so you can configure most
>> >of it through a conf/phoenix-conf.xml file, if no-one objects.
>>
>> that was vetoed ages ago but maybe if you put a good case for it ;)
>> (especially once we actually have some pluggable facilities).
>
>Looking at my current proposal, there's like 10 fields that need to
>be filled in some way. It has already got pluggable logger, deployer,
>kernel and manager. Making all the other facilities pluggable isn't
>much effort.
>Finding an efficient way to handle this plugging is.

The question was - do we a config file for that. In 90% of the cases you
are going to be using the defaults - when this is not the case it is simple
enough to do something like

run.sh --log-file=/var/log/some-server/server.log

the question is how often non-defaults will be used. I don't think we can
answer this yet - so we may aswell leave it for a bit later in dev cycle.

>> XML will still be required as part of deployment descriptor. Whether it
>> stays in that form or goes in via LDAP/XML/JMX/whatever is largely
>> irrelevent (I personally want LDAP).
>
>Since LDAP requires more than just java it can only ever be an option
>and not a requirment. But yes, it would be useful.

Hell yes - a tribe of 100 servers would be a PITA to manage individually ;)

Cheers,

Pete