avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [vote] Excalibur CVS
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:46:49 GMT
At 05:37  20/4/01 +0200, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>Can I just confirm a couple of things -
>perhaps its just me sifting through what is noise and what is serious....
>but I would appreciate confirmation of the following two points:
>
>  1. there was a proposed creating a new CVS to which there was uniform
>     disagreement ... therefore, I am presuming that it now off the agenda
>     (after all, this is an open process - and votes count)

It has been vetoed ... wait a few months and I will surely bring it up
again though ;)

>  2. I'm assuming the "veto" comment was off-the-cuff and should not be
>     taken seriously ... (but if I'm wrong, then there is a very serious
>     issue!)

No it was serious. I have already accepted change that I don't think are
100% optimal. My opinion is that there should be nothing in
org.apache.avalon.* namespace (bad advertising). It is much better to make
everything in other namespaces but use advertising to get message across
about where it is from (ie AvalonFramework or avalon-framework as name of
jars). I also don't like idea of merging in components+aut code, nor
merging framework code and component code etc. The implementation-interface
non-separation is also a little yucky but not something that I think is
worth persuing yet. All in all I have made many a compromise to try to
bring Avalon to beta ... and I was willing to support it as such. However a
straw can break a camels back ;)

Cheers,

Pete