avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Excalibur CVS
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:25:02 GMT
At 11:12  19/4/01 -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>-1 for all the reasons outlined in my other email.  We need to make sure
>   that Avalon is not only Modular, but that it isn't fragmented either.
>   It's a fine line to walk--and I think that this should be revisited
>   when JSR-111 has it's first public deliverable.

Well it is probably best to look at use case. As I have said before most of
my uses of the framework part do not need *anything* out of excalibur
(except maybe CLI package). The framework is just that - framework -
completely independent of any arbitrary components created using said
framework.

What benefit to our users does including the components provide?

>I think the timing is bad for this kind of move, because the ramifications
>can't possibly be completely thought out yet.

agreed - but I am reluctant to beta-ize before doing this.

>There is already a Jakarta
>Commons project, and creating a competing project that is Avalon focussed
>doesn't entirely make sense.

Commons won't accept any of the Avalon components because they are
"tainted" ;)

>The package separation of interface and implementation IMO is
>enough at this time.

Thats a misconception - we don't do this at the moment. We separate between
components and framework but interface and implementation sit side-by-side.

>Let momentum build up around Avalon framework with the Components in
>the Excalibur package--and when we have more developers we can revisit
>this.

Put it this way - I want to be able to build AvalonFramework-4.0b.jar and
place it in C2 CVS. It should not be updated until we release next version
of framework (ie stable release or RCs if needed)? Can you guarentee that
you will not modify any code in the excalibur package for that long
(possibly 4-5 months) ? I doubt it - hence the separation.

Cheers,

Pete