avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject [Phoenix] Configuration - to template or not ?
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:17:15 GMT
Hi,

I am just about to rework some stuff in Phoenixs core again to make it
possible to store/retrieve configuration from wherever. A few points points
must be decided. I had originally planned to separate the config out into
conf/config.xml. The config would simple be the configuration element from
the assembly.xml file  in another file under an element name coresponding
to block name.

Hence foo block which now looks like

<block name="foo" class="com.biz.FooBlock">
  <provide .. />
  <provide .. />
  <configuration>
    <a>
      <b>some text</b>
    </a>
  </configuration>
</block>

would now be separated into

assembly.xml:
<block name="foo" class="com.biz.FooBlock">
  <provide .. />
  <provide .. />
</block>

config.xml:
<foo>
  <a>
    <b>some text</b>
  </a>
</foo>

Now another point that needs addressing is what we consider config.xml to
be ..  a template or a fully configured instance. The J2EE jars (ie War et
al) consider it a fully configured instance. They have tools that take the
jar and massage it ***before*** deploying. At one stage there was talk of
having ours as a template which you configure after installing/deploying
... thoughts?? Which is better.

Another question - if we are storing configuration data in LDAP/DB/whatever
then do we leave the config.xml on filesystem or delete it. Do we update
the filesystem/.sar with "real" configuration after each change etc.

Cheers,

Pete