avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: back to branding
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2001 00:15:46 GMT
At 05:35  6/04/01 +0200, Stephen McConnell wrote:

>G'day Pete:
>
>> The problem is associated with our branding - what do we
>> want to be branded as? Because Avalon used to be much bigger
>> (It incorporated both Cornerstone and Phoenix) many people
>> associate it with Phoenix. Others associate it
>> plainy with framework part ... others the components etc.
>
>Today the Avalon "brand" covers three things (and don't hesitate
>to correct or suggest other views), and its in the definition of
>these three things that I think the "branding" question get
>confusing:
>
>	1 "Avalon - the framework stuff"
>	2. "Phoenix - the engine stuff"
>	3 "Cornerstone - the blocks stuff"

I would actually separate it out like

1. General purpose utility code
2. Framework code
3. Components
4. Application kernel
5. Services for Application kernel

org.apache.avalon, the package hierarchy currently contains (1)-(3).

>Today Avalon (the brand) represents 1, 2 and 3.  In Pete's message
>he's talking about Avalon in terms of point 1, not in terms of 1..3.
>I think that maybe we do have a "brand management" problem (wow,
>actually got in the 'm' word on an open-source list :-)).

;)

>There are two exit mechanisms here:
>
>	1. rename "Avalon the framework stuff" to something
>	   new and exciting then update everything so that the
>	   common message is that...
>
>	   Avalon (the brand) is:
>
>		"XXXXXX - the framework stuff"
>		"Phoenix - the engine stuff"
>		"Cornerstone - the block stuff"

This is is my ultimate goal - part of my agenda ;) I see Avalon as a
spawning ground of related frameworks/technologies etc. As we move closer
and closer to global stabilisation of what is covered by Avalon I would
like the namespace org.apache.avalon.* to be removed.

In the end Avalon would be a cover project with many sub-projects
associated with it in bite-sized chunks ;)

Cheers,

Pete