avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Simons" <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject RE: Xcommander
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:42:51 GMT
> I guess for Peter really...

I'll have a go at it anyway =)

> Could Xcommander be used in a similar way to Beanshell?  i.e
> running commands like cp, ls, mv etc
> (providing an app using it could make available those commands).

definately. I'm making mods on it (very much alpha) which
will separate 'the engine' from the 'demo'. This should allow
it to do about anything java can do.

I'm not sure if it is smart though to take this too far -
the Ant engine is more powerful and more stable for jobs
like this.

Here's the alternative: hook ant2 up to a socket using Avalon's
wrapper model, add authentication support and a wealth of
XCommands, and you've got java-based xml-aware remote control
of a machine.

> Should not Xcommander move from cornerstone/demo to somewhere
> more significant?

XCommander was not designed for complex commands. It is easy
to add in those capabilities, but doing so _right_ would
require significant refactoring. If someone does that, then
I'm +1. -1 until then.

cheers!

LSD