avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Phoenix] Mutual Dependencies?
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2001 04:26:32 GMT
At 08:08  29/3/01 -0800, John H. Lee wrote:

>I need to have mutual dependencies between several of my components.  That
>is, ComponentA depends on ComponentB and ComponentB depends on ComponentA.

hmm - is it possible to refactor this into a third Block? The reason I ask
is because if mutual dependencies exist one of them will be passed to the
other block in a uninitialized state which could cause subtle and serious
problems.

>Specifying this relationship in assembly.xml causes BlockDAG to traverse
>dependencies forever.

ug - thats a bug ... ;)

>Attached is a quick fix that I'm using to get around this (it keeps track of
>already-traversed dependencies in a Hashtable).  Might this cause other
>problems?  I don't yet have a complete understanding of Phoenix...

I may try to solve the problem a different way - I was thinking I would
throw an exception when a circular reference is discovered. Also I may pass
in hashtable down chain as that way multiple threads could be traversing
BlockDAG at the same time etc. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Pete