avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] long term logging proposal
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:17:25 GMT
At 10:42  28/3/01 +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
>- we offer more logging features to people building on top
>of Avalon.

What features from Log4j would you like to see?

>- we remove the duplicity of having two logging packages
>on Jakarta.

theres 5+ templating languages at Apache, 2 regex projects etc.

>- we get the advantages of a larger developer pool and more
>synergy between Jakarta projects.

and more dynamicism. Avalons bad enough at the moment - it is meant to
stabilize at avalon 4.0. If we introduce a logging package that changes 2-3
times a week this is not a service to our users.

>These reasons are, IMO, enough to warrant the work and the
>speed loss.
>
>So, here's my +1

and my veto -1
;)

If the logging JSR comes out and is widely accepted that may be a viable
platform but I really don't see any need to change yet - maybe you can
convince me ;)

Cheers,

Pete