avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Xcommander
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 05:03:58 GMT
At 08:49  27/3/01 -0800, Paul Hammant wrote:
>I guess for Peter really...
>
>Could Xcommander be used in a similar way to Beanshell?  i.e running
commands like cp, ls, mv etc
>(providing an app using it could make available those commands).
>
>Should not Xcommander move from cornerstone/demo to somewhere more
significant?

I would like to wait and see how commons turns out first. (Just in case you
are not aware commons is another project at Jakarta aimed at providing
reusable server components). Currently it could not sit directly under
commons due to their charter. However there is an insider involved trying
to make them see sense ;)

If commons turns out to be a no-go for whatever reason - I was going to try
to collaborate with a few others to setup a jakarta-avalon-agora or
something similar. This would basically be like commons except more
distributed control and much more freedom etc. In this place I would like
to see anyone be able to work on a product (say Xcommander) without being
bound to my foul coding conventions and more free to implement what you
want etc.

Cheers,

Pete