avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Service, plugs, contracts - oh my!
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 02:54:23 GMT
Hi,

In light of the new Services API I think long term we will have to further
clarify our terminology. The notion of "service" I introduced basically was
equivelent to a java interface + a version number.

So long term it would be best to refine this term - unfortunately I
couldn't think of any other equivelent words that didn't have just as much
baggage. Some possible ones I cam up with were

* Plug
* Contract
* Protocol
* VersionedInterface
* Connector
* Communicator
etc...

None of them really floats my boat - except perhaps plug. Other than that
not sure. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Pete