avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Universal JNDI Directory in kernel
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:36:13 GMT
Hi,

At 01:09  19/3/01 -0800, Paul Hammant wrote:
>I'm in favour of this as it will make dynamic access to services much
easier for a dynamic sar
>like Jesktop.  If assembly xml could state for individual bars which
interfaces were published to
>the jndi tree, then it could, in part, address security concerns..?

I am not sure what exactly you are talking about here. Are you talking about
* management interface (JMX style)
* inter-application communication interfaces (in-process RMI)

Both of them will be possible/easier to do in this system ... however
neither are in my scope at the moment. There is two motivating factors for
this.

(1) distributable sars/configuration. This means sars won't have to be
unzipped/extracted.
(2) reduce control complexity and push all complexity into data model.

I want (1) to help projects like eas and also to stop me from spending ages
tracking down imaginary bugs (I spent 3 hours trying to detect a bug except
I forgot to delete original directory and thus the .sar was extracted once
and never updated ;]).

For (1) I was thinking about followin the Servlet2.3 model and having
listeners  being able to handle application events. So the EAS project
could listen for the deploy event and then do all their magical extraction
of tomcat resources as they see fit. (Probably could provide an interface
to wrap around ant2 for this).

I want (2) because someone was modifing the kernel and kept complaining
about complexity ;)

Cheers,

Pete