avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon-based News server.
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:50:57 GMT
At 11:51  15/3/01 -0800, Fedor Karpelevitch wrote:
>As my company is about to die there
>would be no problem to get the news server open source (there were plans
>for it anyway).

Sorry to hear about that ;(

>The only question is whether there is any interest in this. So basically
>I am asking if anybody would be interested in
>using/supporting/developing etc. such a server, as I see no point in
>creating another dead-born project.

I would be happy to help support the project as long as someone else was
there aswell ;)

>It supports pluggable backend
>implementations so it can be used to provide news interface to pretty
>much anything fitting into the newsgroup concept (most obvious would be
>mail-list archives and discussion forums). I will also be supporting it
>to some degree if I am not the only one interested.

excellent

>It can be set up as a separate project or may be integrated into 1)
>cornerstone as another demo 2) James (but I am not quite sure if it is
>actually a fit for James).

Another option is for it to live in it's own CVS. ie we could place it in
something like jakarta-avalon-newsman or jakarta-james-newsman. It really
depends on size of code and how much development it needs. If it picks up
enough contributors we could then ask for it to become a separate project.
A separate CVS may make this easier.

Would you mind posting the source at a URL so we could check it out to see
where it is at ?

Cheers,

Pete