avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <paul_hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Xcommander
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:12:12 GMT
Leo,

> > Could Xcommander be used in a similar way to Beanshell?  i.e
> > running commands like cp, ls, mv etc
> > (providing an app using it could make available those commands).
>
> definately. I'm making mods on it (very much alpha) which
> will separate 'the engine' from the 'demo'. This should allow
> it to do about anything java can do.

:-))

> I'm not sure if it is smart though to take this too far -
> the Ant engine is more powerful and more stable for jobs
> like this.

I think Ant is too tied to the *real* command line for my purposes. I like the ideas behind
Xcommander.

> Here's the alternative: hook ant2 up to a socket using Avalon's
> wrapper model, add authentication support and a wealth of
> XCommands, and you've got java-based xml-aware remote control
> of a machine.

Way beyond my abilities :-(

> > Should not Xcommander move from cornerstone/demo to somewhere
> > more significant?
>
> XCommander was not designed for complex commands. It is easy
> to add in those capabilities, but doing so _right_ would
> require significant refactoring. If someone does that, then
> I'm +1. -1 until then.

What sort of refactoring required.

What I am looking for
=====================

Inside Jesktop I have a 98% full functioned beanshell working.  It sould be nice to use it
to fire
commands at server components in the same VM (or an alternative VM)

Sort of syntax I am looking for ->

bsh> xcmd("localhost","james","<adduser user=\"fred\"/>");

or

bsh> xcmd("localhost","james",new James.AddUserCmd("Fred"));

Note : james is only an example.

Incidentally: I'd reckon a toXML() would be better than toString() on the commands.  I argue
this
the whole time (but never get anywhere) as the only way for debugging purposes you can see
instance numbers is to *not* override toString().  This is useful if you doubt whether you
have
one or two instances of apparently the same thing.

Note2 : Beanshell changed license (at 1.1 alpha 5) to dual LGPL/SPL.  This is allows it to
be used
in netbeans apparently.  Good for the community of course.

=====
Regards - Paul H
====
CVS -1, Perforce +1