avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "John H. Lee" <John.H....@corp.palm.com>
Subject RE: [Phoenix] Classpath etc was RE: JdbcDataSource driver loading
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:42:25 GMT
Thanks Pete!  I owe you a beer (will you be at ApacheCon?)!

However, my ServerSocketFactory/DefaultConnectionManager based listeners are
dead now (using nightly build 03/28/01).  The listeners work under the
03/27/01 build.

No Exceptions in the logs/console.  Non-listener blocks are okay.

Any ideas?  I've been crawling through the ClassLoader-related changes all
day but haven't been able to pin down the problem.

-John

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 7:40 PM
To: Avalon Development
Subject: [Phoenix] Classpath etc was RE: JdbcDataSource driver loading

At 11:19  27/3/01 -0800, John H. Lee wrote:
>Aha!  So I'm not insane.  I'm using the 2001-03-26 build
>(http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon/nightly/2001-03-26/).
>
>A fix would be great...I'll look into fixing it, but I think this is beyond
>my understanding of Avalon/Phoenix.

Okay I took a first swing at it and I *think* it should work. What I did
was point java.ext.dirs at <base>/lib. Thus anything under that directory
will be loaded with full permissions and global to the whole of Phoenix.

So if you need to have something shared between multiple Applications then
that is the place to put it. This should also work around the problem of
vendors placing libraries etc into ext/ dir to "help" you. For code that is
application specific you can still place it in
<base>/apps/[appname]/lib/*.jar

This seems to work with everything I have running but it *may* cause
errors. (Maybe with odd non-standard JVMs).

Cheers,

Pete