avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Federico Barbieri <scoo...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: FW: avalon moved.
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:47:40 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Federico Barbieri wrote:
> >
> > > kewl - keep it coming. A lot of the duplicity stuff in Avalon though
> > > is done to support backwards compatability in some form or another.
> > >

> > I know and that's the main pain! I don't want to repackage and
> > rearchitect everything nicely and screw all code. But deprecation in
> > this situation is such a pain! So we could go for a 4.0 proposal while
> > tuning the 3.1x branch.
>
> There is no harm in removing interfaces that nobody uses.  Helping people
> convert, though patches, benefits everyone.

I just don't want to deprecate classes without a very clear picture of
the whole 4.0. If you have a need today and you think of a solution,
implement it and deprecate the old class you'll end up in a ever
evolving/ never stable development process.
So IMHO the best path is to freze as much as possible 3.1 specification
brach, face all issues in a coherent way on the 4.0 proposal, where you
have freedom of movement and you can work on solutions instead of
patches.