avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GUMP] Build Failure - Framework
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2001 04:14:37 GMT
Hi,

A thought - someone (was it you???) was talking about having a flat
permissions to access CVS across jakarta. ie if you have permission for
project foo then you also have permission for project bar. This was meant
to encourage the breakdown of inter-project boundaries etc. You would still
have to go through the same process to apply any major patches but for
minor brain dead fixes (like what the last two things on Avalon ;-]) you
could just jump in and make changes yourself.

I was thinking that you (and any other alexandria/gump developers) could
prove to be a useful test case. ie If you were to get full across the board
access it may be useful because you could reduce the communication overhead
etc. I think Alexandria/gump is a perfect test case as it cuts across all
projects etc.

If that was a success then we could move to allow the various tribes commit
access on their code bases. ie turbine/jetspeed/jyve would form one tribe
as would avalon/james/cocoon etc (I know they aren't all at jakarta so this
may not work for these cases).

At each test stage we could expand the notion of tribe (ie I assume that
velocity and turbine developers would intermix at next stage). Until there
is only one tribe - Jakarta. Thoughts ?

Cheers,

Pete