avalon-apps-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <l...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: FW: Hotspot crashes
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 08:32:50 GMT
One thing to try is to turn off hotspot.  The JVM will run slower, but I
have found that this makes
a lot of crashes go away, letting you track down the real problems.
 Sometimes synchronization
bugs will get optimized into code which can lead to a crash.   Shouldn't
happen, but unfortunately
it does.  With Hotspot disabled, you may get bugs due to the lack of
synchronization but as the
code never gets optimized, the crashes go away. How to do this depends
on the JVM, but try
    -Djava.compiler=NONE

Also, if this is causing you problems with an online system, you might
want to try running
Phoenix on top of the Java Service Wrapper.  This was the exact kind of
problem that led
to its development.  The JVM will still hang, but when that happens, it
will at least get restarted,
helping you avoid downtime.

Cheers,
Leif