avalon-apps-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Bennett <exterminat...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Sevak Catalina problems
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:00:26 GMT
Long time user of Tomcat... I've even written my own Java app that starts up
an embedded Tomcat container complete with using Security Realms.

Haven't used Jetty before, so I don't have any experience with it.  I'm not
opposed to giving it a whirl.  I'm assuming I can programmatically deploy
WARs and it has some sort of Security Realm -esque feature that can
authenticate users against a database.

I'm starting a prototype of my server now.  I've got the embedded database
in Phoenix figured out.  Testing the DataSourceSelector now.  My next step
is adding a sevak container in the mix.  My 1st milestone Phoenix prototype
includes:

Startup server w/
(1) config parameter to switch between using JDBC to an embedded HSQL
database or to an external MySQL server
(2) sevak container using security realms (users/roles in either embedded or
external database) and auto-deploy a test webapp WAR
(3) hit my webapp from a browser and test authentication (against the
configured database).

My timetable for this first milestone is sometime early December.  Once that
is working, then I'm off writing other blocks/webapps that will handle
various HTTP POSTs to the servlet container.  Would like to have a decent
prototype functioning to show my superiors by the end of the year.