avalon-apps-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: InfoMover Interfaces: the Proposals
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2002 20:18:03 GMT
On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 04:40, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 04:18, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > ---------------- From Me (Third Version) --------------
> >
> > interface Input
> > {
> >     Transaction getNextTransaction();
> > }
> >
> > interface Output
> > {
> >     Response process( Transaction trans );
> > }
> >
> > interface Manipulator
> > {
> >     Transaction manipulate( Transaction trans );
> > }
>
> +1

+1

> Essentially makes it event driven and the controller that drives this has a
> lot more control, the objects are largely reactive etc.
>
> It is great if you want to massively scale but possibly a little harder to
> write initially (though I find even style programs easier to write so I find
> this easier ;)

the correct definition of Transaction and Response is very important as
well; you'll also want well-defined Input-Output translation defined (in
many IO-related systems it is way more complicated to couple some input
to some output than it should be) as part of the core feature set.

Are you planning to define lifecycle interface usage and contracts and
dependency information later? I usually find taking these into account
early on makes discussion easier.......

more comments:

- "transaction" has many connotations in many software systems (whenever
I read the word I think of complex DB setups involving oracle or EJB or
my petrifying bank balance); can't think of a neat alternative though

- "Response" implies communication. "Result" is more general, so maybe a
better idea

- I see two concerns: translation/modification of data and input-output
of data. Which is the main one for InfoMover (to me, the name implies
the second one, and a pipeline the first one)

cheers,

Leo