avalon-apps-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: InfoMover Interfaces: the Proposals
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:36:39 GMT
> From: kevin.s.ruland@mail.sprint.com
>
> Berin,
>
> How could this support a "fork" in the pipeline.  Say the same data
> needs to be put in two different formats in two different files?
>
> Assume of course, that transactionality is not an issue.
>
> By doing the chaining thing, one could define a sink which does the
> fork and passes the data on to both sides.

In order to fork the pipeline the Job would need to know how to do that,
and have the forked pipelines processed by a thread.

Keep in mind that Transactionality *is* an issue, and more importantly
for InfoMover our efforts are concentrated on *MOVING* data, not
altering it.  The spirit of the Manipulator is not to provide industrial
strength manipulations or transformations, but to fill in the missing
pieces of data, or to validate the information as it comes across.
With this limitation, forked pipelines are really not all that great--
and more importantly it is really flexibility syndrome.

For the first version we really have to KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).
My focus is to teach how to write component based software--not provide
a swiss army knife.  All that can happen later as we find its
shortcommings
and have new uses for it.

I am responding to your other post, so look for it soon.