avalon-apps-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Xerces/Xalan and Classloader problem
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:31:02 GMT
Ulrich,

>>Dunno.  Reason I mention it is that some teams make an assumption (when
>>instantiating a classloader) that the parent is the primordial.  The
>>Catalina team is (or was) one of them!
>>

>What do you mean by primordial? Is that like the top classloader? What
>can go wrong, when I assume a classloader to be the top classloader,
>when in reality it isn't?

It is a comon mitake.  If you are making a reusable thing that does
classlading, you should always specify the parent CL.  If you don't it
will just fail to find depended on classes when in use when some person
tries to reuse the thing "up a tree" of classloaders (like Phoenix).  It
is porbbaly not your problem as it would not be an intermittent issue.

>Do you have any idea where in the Phoenix sources I should look for
>classloader/startup code?

On reflection I do not think classloading is your issue.

>Sorry for asking so many dumb questions, but I have to get as much
>information as possible, this issue is currently impossible to debug :)

No thing is impossible dude.

You are going to have to temporarily fork the latest phoenix and put old
fashioned debug messages in.  It is a good way of understanding phoenix.

- Paul