aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Kai Huang <texasred2...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Redesign of the Aurora UI
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2017 20:56:03 GMT
Just a few thoughts as an aurora developer and operator:

>From my experiences with Aurora users, some persisting complaints are:

  1.  The current UI is not very intuitive for the users to understand the task lifecycle,
resource utilization of their job.
  2.  Often times users are unaware of the new features/changes in Aurora Scheduler/Executor,
which leads to a lot of misuse of the system.
  3.  Users have preferences on the appearance of the scheduler/thermos UI due to special
use cases, and ask us to customize for them(or start to write their own UI, which is often
not recommended).

The other major issue I see in the current UI is that it's built on an obsolete tech stack(AngularJS)
that has all the binaries and dependencies in the repo. From a developer's perspective, it's
a big burden to maintain/test the code, and make fast iterations on it.

Currently the scheduler UI is readonly, and mainly designed for debugging purposes. We could
have done much better to make the UI more friendly to the end user, empower them to discover,
understand and use all the Aurora features, and give them more insights into the their jobs,
or even the entire cluster. I love the idea that redesign the UI with a modern stack, and
more importantly, every single part of the application is a module that you could take your
own customization.

As for the development strategy, I'm in favor of the incremental approach that posts one page
at a time. The main benefit is that we are educating the developers while iterating on it,
and this will improve the adoption rate in the long term.

Overall I'm very interested in this work, and would like to collaborate with David to redesign
and improve the UI.