aurora-dev mailing list archives

From "Erb, Stephan" <Stephan....@blue-yonder.com>
Subject Re: Adding support for Mesos' Kill Policy when running docker executor-less tasks.
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2017 18:09:40 GMT
I will try to summarize an off-list discussion so that more people can participate:

Aurora has an unofficial way to launch Docker containers without Thermos. Rather than using
the Thermos executor, Mesos will directly call the container entrypoint. This support was
contributed by Bill (https://reviews.apache.org/r/44685/ ). An additional patch by John (https://reviews.apache.org/r/44745/
) to expose this functionality within the client job configuration was discarded due to missing
consensus at the time. This means, the entrypoint mode is only available for REST API users,
and for users with patched clients.

The goal of Nicolás is now to provide a graceful shutdown for containers running without
Thermos. He has prepared a minimal patch that sketches the idea https://github.com/apache/aurora/compare/master...medallia:KillPolicyGracePeriod.

How do we want to proceed here? Do we plan to improve our Docker entrypoint story? If yes,
can we just re-open Johns RB and merge an extended version of Nicolás change, or do we need
some additional planning?

I am happy to hear what you think.