aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Hrabovčin <martin.hrabov...@gmail.com>
Subject mesos-log health check HTTP endpoint
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:44:44 GMT
Hello,

I was asking same question in #aurora channel and I still haven't found an
answer so I am bringing this in mailing list with a proposal.

Is there a way to check the state of mesos-log (whether the its writable in
VOTING state) through some HTTP check outside of aurora process on a
non-leading aurora instance? We are trying to create external check that
would determine whether the mesos-log is ready in case of aurora rolling
update. When adding new instance to existing aurora cluster and we want to
make sure that mesos-log is replicated and replica is ready to serve reads
and writes. Currently we’re grep-ing java process log and looking for
“Persisted replica status to VOTING”.

I was pointed to /vars endpoint but I haven't found obvious answer there.

I'd like to propose creating new HTTP endpoint "/loghealth" that would
similarly to "/leaderhealth" return 200 when mesos-log is ready and 503 in
case when mesos log throws exception. As for implementation I was thinking
about doing simple read from log or write noop to log directly.

Thanks!