aurora-dev mailing list archives

From John Sirois <john.sir...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subscribing to Aurora's tasks' event changes
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2016 19:28:33 GMT
On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Jeff Schroeder <jeffschroeder@computer.org>
wrote:

> On Monday, April 25, 2016, John Sirois <john.sirois@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 8:15 PM, John Sirois <john.sirois@gmail.com
> > <javascript:;>> wrote:

> interface/bridge,
> > >>

> > > That said - supporting a JMS interface doesn't sound too bad on the
> > aurora
> > > end.
> > > Motivated consumers could write a bridge presumably if they insist on
> > > using Kafka.
> > >

> > Or maybe even just a webhook API.  You configure aurora with an HTTP
> > endpoint that must conform to a given api and Aurora tries, best effort
> > only, to post events to the endpoint, perhaps on a streaming connection.
> > This scales well for Aurora.
>

> Or Server Send Events, an often overlooked but really nice way of having a
> server send clients events in realtime over http. I *think* this is the way
> marathon sends events to marathon-lb (haven't looked though)

The reason I leaned towards 1 webhook url configured on the aurora
scheduler command line was paranoia over load mainly.
This assures aurora it will only have to service 1 best-effort streaming
client instead of an arbitrary number, and it assures aurora that only
operators can choose to enable this instead of random joe dev #9165 out of
12000 at some huge company.
I guess that concern is also easily assuaged though via admin-only api for
example.