aurora-dev mailing list archives

From John Sirois <jsir...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Switch aurora client from service discovery to HTTP redirects.
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2016 19:03:35 GMT
As part of work on switching the Aurora scheduler from using a copy of the
Twitter zookeeper libs to the Apache Curator libs [1], I'd like to enable a
Curator feature (GUID protection [2]) that will make the scheduler more
robust to ZooKeeper outages but has the side-effect of breaking the
effectively public API formed by the ZooKeeper path names it uses to
perform leader election and service advertisement.  From Aurora's
standpoint, the API consumer is the Aurora command-line client.  It uses
service-discovery today to find the leading scheduler to communicate with.
I propose switching the client to use HTTP re-directs instead since the
scheduler already has a redirect service and since this would reduce the
scheduler API surface area and generally move further down the road of a
pure HTTP api.

The most obvious problem I see here is just the mechanics of a proper
deprecation cycle for all those clients Aurora is not directly aware of
that rely on its service advertisment API in ZooKeeper today.

Are there other problems folks see with this?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1468
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1670