aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Cohen <jco...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Supporting Mesos Universal Containers
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2016 14:55:42 GMT
I've gone ahead and filed some tickets breaking down the work involved in
this effort. They're all contained within this epic:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1634.

I agree that we should assess our plans re: containers as a whole. My
understanding of the current state of the world is as follows:

   1. There are definite benefits to adopting the unified containerizer to
   launch image-based tasks (outlined in the design doc, but I'll reiterate
   here: better interaction w/ Mesos isolators, no need to rely on external
   daemons to coordinate containers, etc.).
   2. There are also considerations to keep in mind, specifically, we now
   rely on Mesos maintaining this image support, which is secondary to its
   primary goals, rather than relying on organizations that are invested in
   the formats. Additionally, we'll have to wait on Mesos to implement new
   features of image formats before they can be adopted by Aurora users.

I don't believe that number 2 above should be a blocker to number 1, but
it's a caveat that we must always keep in mind. I'll point out that the
design doc takes a very cautious approach towards deprecating the current
Docker support. It may be that we maintain both in perpetuity. It's also
possible, and I'm hopeful that this is the case, that the Mesos community
will show responsible custodianship of the unified container support,
allaying the concerns outlined above and allowing us to deprecate the
current native-Docker containerizer support. In either case described here,
I think Aurora users will benefit.

Does anyone think we need a stop-the-world moment to come up with a long
term, holistic plan, or is it reasonable to assess the situation as we go?