aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Farner <wfar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Aurora 0.12.0 rpms
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2016 20:34:33 GMT
-1

I'm had trouble getting these to work.  I used the vagrant environment
here:
https://github.com/apache/aurora-packaging/tree/master/test/rpm/centos-7

*Executor:*
$ sudo rpm -ivh aurora-executor-0.12.0-1.el7.centos.aurora.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
docker is needed by aurora-executor-0.12.0-1.el7.centos.aurora.x86_64

Apparently the official docker package is called docker-engine
https://docs.docker.com/engine/installation/linux/centos/

Dependency naming aside, i think we should omit docker from our
dependencies, as it really should be a mesos dep if anything.  *I can send
a patch for that if others agree.*

*Scheduler:*
I had trouble getting the scheduler to start, it exits due to an uncaught
exception in the main thread, and unfortunately a stack trace doesn't turn
up in journalctl.  We need to figure out why the errors don't show up,
possibly in conjunction with addressing the items below.

Doing some investigation, i noticed something strange - JAVA_OPTS (set in
/etc/sysconfig/aurora) doesn't make it to the process launched by systemd.
It seems to be discarded when /usr/bin/aurora-scheduler-startup calls
/usr/lib/aurora/bin/aurora-scheduler.  Other variables (e.g.
AURORA_SCHEDULER_OPTS) propagate fine.  I've probably been staring at this
too long and am missing something obvious, but i'm not making sense of it.

Sidestepping the above issue, i discovered 2 reasons the scheduler won't
start up:
- Default backup dir /var/lib/aurora/scheduler/backups does not exist,
insufficient permission to create

- Fails to load the mesos native lib
aurora-scheduler-startup[8500]: Failed to load native Mesos library from
/usr/lib;/usr/lib64
I was able to fix this by removing ;/usr/lib64 from
-Djava.library.path='/usr/lib;/usr/lib64', alternatively by removing the
library.path setting and exporting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib.

Happy to pitch in on fixing these issues, curious what folks think of the
items above, especially the JAVA_OPTS issue.