aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Cohen <jco...@apache.org>
Subject Rollback Testing
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2016 20:14:53 GMT
Another topic that came up today's IRC meeting was possibly adding some
sort of automated rollback testing between builds. This is related to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1603 which was caused by an
inability to rollback to an earlier commit after discovering
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1605.

I'm not sure what's feasible in the immediate future. To me the most
obvious solution would be to run the e2e tests as part of our CI job, and
have the last step of the job be to checkout HEAD^ and rebuild/restart the
scheduler. This is predicated on actually running the e2e tests as part of
CI though, which historically has been difficult for us to achieve (see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-127).

Curious to hear thoughts on this. It's clearly more beneficial to those
deploying from master rather than from official releases (though it would
be great, at least, as part of the release verification process to ensure
we can rollback to the previous release). Do folks think this would be
beneficial, or is it overkill?

Cheers,

Joshua