aurora-dev mailing list archives

From "Erb, Stephan" <Stephan....@blue-yonder.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Job instance scaling APIs
Date Sun, 17 Jan 2016 17:00:52 GMT
I believe the operation is not that simple when you look at the end-to-end scenario.

For example, the implementation of an auto-scaler  using the new scaleOut() API could look
like:

1) check some KPI
2) Infer an action based on this KPI such as scaleUp() or scaleDown()
3) wait until the effects of the adjusted instance count is reflected in the KPI. Go to  1
and repeat.

The health checking capabilities of the existing updater (in particular together with [1])
would be really helpful here. Still, the simplified scaleOut() API would offer the great benefit
that the auto-scaler would not need to know about the used aurora configuration.

We even had an incident with a sub-optimal implementation of step 3): An overloaded package
backend lead to slow service startups. The service startup took longer than the grace-period
of our auto-scaler. It  therefore decided to add more and more instances, because the KPI
wasn't improving as expected. It had no way of knowing that these instances were not even
'running'. The additionally added instances aggravated the overload situation of the package
backend.  Of course, the scaler could manually health check that all instances have come up
and are being used as expected, but I guess that is what Aurora is for.

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZdgW8S4xMhvKW7iQUX99xZm10NXSxEWR0a-21FP5d94/edit?pref=2&pli=1#heading=h.n0kb37aiy8ua

Best Regards,
Stephan