aurora-dev mailing list archives

From John Sirois <j...@conductant.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Use standard logging practices
Date Wed, 30 Dec 2015 00:35:05 GMT
On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 5:18 PM, John Sirois <john@conductant.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 5:05 PM, John Sirois <john@conductant.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Jeff Schroeder <
>> jeffschroeder@computer.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Primarily it is faster, uses less memory, and annotates tracebacks with
>>> package versions. The last one seems like a winner for debugging user
>>> issues or operationally.
>>>
>>> http://logback.qos.ch/reasonsToSwitch.html
>>>
>>> I'm not strongly opinionated either way, but it does seem like a better
>>> log4j.
>>>

>> Looks like this decision is nicely  limited to a build.gradle edit:
>> http://logback.qos.ch/reasonsToSwitch.html#slf4j
>>

> After a brief skim of the configuration docs [1], I'm in favor of
> switching in a follow-up RB to https://reviews.apache.org/r/41777/
> In short - logback supports pointing to a non-root config file via a
> system-property out of the box, this makes aurora a non-nuisance for
> operators, they can easily modify init scripts to point to a custom config.
>
> [1] http://logback.qos.ch/manual/configuration.html

Ah yes, easier said than done since we have /logconfig [1][2].
Jeff - do you feel strongly enough about this to file an issue to
investigate / prove out perf wins / send up a change? (doing any part of
this or all of this would wonderful and I'd be happy to review).

[1]
https://github.com/apache/aurora/blob/master/commons/src/main/java/org/apache/aurora/common/net/http/handlers/LogConfig.java
[2]
https://github.com/apache/aurora/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/aurora/scheduler/http/JettyServerModule.java#L221