aurora-dev mailing list archives

From "Erb, Stephan" <Stephan....@blue-yonder.com>
Subject Re: AURORA-1440 Evaluate Fenzo scheduling library
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2015 12:01:44 GMT
Someone also expressed interest in Fenzo by adding it to the community-driven roadmap [1].

AFAIK nobody has looked at in in detail, yet. Or at least nobody has posted about it on the
mailinglist. Feel free to be that someone and take a closer look at what would be necessary
to leverage the power of Fenzo in Aurora :-)

Without checking, I would assume that the following areas might need the most effort to address:
* the preemption mechanism of Aurora to make room for priority/production jobs
* the work-in-progress feature using oversubscribed resources [2]

Regards,
Stephan

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vyhTZSlEPeibQm2_7HK6JXOkydO0ZllZNQZ2O3cC4_0/edit?usp=sharing

[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r1WCHgmPJp5wbrqSZLsgtxPNj3sULfHrSFmxp2GyPTo/edit?pref=2&pli=1#heading=h.af56b6bntcao

From: Mauricio Garavaglia <mauriciogaravaglia@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:02 AM
To: dev@aurora.apache.org
Subject: AURORA-1440 Evaluate Fenzo scheduling library

Hello,

I found the issue AURORA-1440
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1440> about evaluating fenzo
to replace the scheduling algorithm. Has there been any progress on it? is
the intention just replace the implementation or also expose part of the
configurations that fenzo allows?

It would be handy to be able to select, for example, between cpu bin
packing and memory bin packing. But also take advantage of the rich
scheduling constraints api that it has. I assume a lot of discussion would
be needed regarding how to expose them though :)
Thanks

Mauricio