aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Maxim Khutornenko <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Unified container support in Aurora
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2015 21:23:53 GMT
With Mesos community closing in on the unified container solution
(MESOS-2386)[1], what is our stance on supporting it in Aurora?

The current Docker integration in Aurora predates this effort and
relies on ContainerInfo.Type.DOCKER (2) (eventually to be deprecated?)
rather than the newly introduced Image.DOCKER (3) spec. More
importantly though, the shift to the image-based spec and the unified
Mesos containerizer will finally allow us to support multiple
container types (Docker, AppC) and run executor outside of a task
image space. The latter, IMO, will be a huge win for us as baking
python-based-native-lib-dependent executor into a customer image was
less than ideal to start with (e.g. MESOS-1659) and one of the reasons
current Docker support in Aurora is still in beta.

I propose we freeze and eventually deprecate the existing Docker
implementation in Aurora in favor of the new approach (to be designed)
leveraging the Mesos unified container support. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Maxim

[1] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fx5TS0LytV7u5MZExQS0-g-gScX2yKCKQg9UPFzhp6U
[2] - https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/3c35a6b20dc07228ca30ad2d00115017224284a1/include/mesos/mesos.proto#L1416