aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Zameer Manji <zma...@apache.org>
Subject Moving forward on AURORA-1503
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2015 22:48:34 GMT
Hey,

As I brought up on today's IRC meeting
<http://markmail.org/message/2v7224yhnkichnze> we have a bit of a problem
in AURORA-1503 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1503> and some
discussion is required to figure out what we need to do.

Since Aurora 0.9.0 was released the Mesos release cadence has increased to
about one a month, while keeping their deprecation policy to be -1/+1.
Aurora 0.9.0 was released against Mesos 0.22 which means Aurora 0.9.0 will
work against Mesos 0.23 but not Mesos 0.24.

The scenario means our users are not able to update to Mesos 0.24 (or
later) if they are running Aurora 0.9.0. The deprecation policy also means
we also need to carefully think about which versions of Mesos we release
against.

I'm proposing we do the following:

   - Release 0.9.1 which is 0.9.0 linked against Mesos 0.23. This will
   allow our users to upgrade their clusters to Mesos 0.24 in the short term.
   Mesos 0.23 is also compatible with Mesos 0.22 meaning existing users should
   not be impacted.
   - Assuming we do the above, we release the next major version of Aurora
   against Mesos 0.24. This provides a smooth upgrade path from 0.9.x to
   0.10.x.

What are our thoughts on this?

--
Zameer Manji